JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
The Redemption of Callie & Kayden - Jessica Sorensen This Redemption Fell A Bit Flat

[b:The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden|16113791|The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence, #1)|Jessica Sorensen|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1353550763s/16113791.jpg|21930423] was such a wonderful read that I had high hopes for the sequel. Unfortunately, I felt disappointed. Fans of this series clamored for book two after book one ended on an evil cliffhanger. I wonder if the author rushed the release of [b:The Redemption of Callie and Kayden|16718083|The Redemption of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence, #2)|Jessica Sorensen|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1366785115s/16718083.jpg|22957415] as a result.

Every book will have a typo or two no matter how polished, but my ebook is rife with errors. The beginning dragged for me, so the pacing needs work. I also thought the exposition needs tightening.

Kayden's in residential psychiatric treatment at the beginning of the story. The introduction of his therapist certainly didn't impress me.

"Tell me how you feel," the therapist says.
He says it every God damn time.
And every God damn time I give him the same response.
"I feel fine."

Really? This nincompoop therapist supposedly has a Ph.D. from Berkley? Thankfully he gets a little better, but this inept portrayal ticked me off at first.

When Callie says 10% into the book "Maybe it's time to quit being so scared," I thought AMEN. Too bad it takes her so long to follow through with action. It seems like weeks that she's apart from Kayden, with no real purpose for their separation (other than to keep him with the ninny psychologist).

Here's an example of my struggle with the writing style:

Seth starts thrusting his hips wildly as he flicks the end of his lighter and puts it up to the tip of the cigarette. The paper curls in and turns black as he takes a long drag.

I'm not an editor but I think this could be stated more economically, something like Seth thrusts his hips as he lights his cigarette. He takes a long drag." or something like that. The extra verbiage distracted me.

I did love moments like these:

I start to shove my finger down my throat, when suddenly I see Kayden lying on the floor. Helpless. He needs help...I might not be able to take away Kayden's past pain but maybe I can help with his future pain. I move my finger from my mouth and it's one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Callie really knows how to help Kayden. And Seth is a wonderful character.

"No, but I've never been one for wise ideas," Seth says. "I believe in irrational, fleeting decisions that keep life interesting."

Callie makes great progress in securing her redemption. But Kayden's story feels unfinished. Instead of feeling buoyed from these characters triumphing over pain, I felt "meh".

Ms. Sorenson does an excellent job evoking emotion with her characters. She tackles tough issues like self-mutilation and eating disorders with rawness and accuracy. That's why the poor editing bugs me, because this story has so much potential.