JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence, #1) - Jessica Sorensen Healing From Pain Together

Thank you to Mitsy for recommending this soul-crushing read. She knows I love tortured heroes, and Kayden is one of the best. And oh goody, the heroine Callie is tortured too! *claps*

Callie just finished high school, where she was considered "the Anorexic Satan Worshipper", especially by mean girls like Daisy. Daisy is the girlfriend of popular high school quarterback Kayden. Callie discovers a secret about Kayden in the first chapter that challenges her former unidimensional view of him. Later, she likens their meeting to this quote:

In the existence of our lives, there is a single coincidence that brings us together, and for a moment, our hearts beat as one.

Almost too scared to hope, Callie seeks a fresh start at college. Luckily she meets quirky gay friend Seth, the fag to her hag. I love when Seth tells Daisy off:

"I don't know what you're being so cocky about girl," he says. "Take away that push up bra, fake tan, dyed hair, and fancy clothes, and all you'd be is a slightly overweight girl with a really bad nose job."

Kayden is the youngest of three athletic brothers, and his secret is that his alcoholic father has abused all three of them. Here's a typical night when Kayden was twelve:

He stalked toward me, his pupils swallowing his eyes, and I could smell the alcohol on his breath from clear across the room. He was bigger than me, stronger than me, and he had a look on his face that let me know he was about to use it to his full advantage and there was nothing I could do about it.

I knew the drill. Get up and hide, otherwise he wouldn't have time to cool off. But I couldn't move. I kept thinking about my brothers who were gone and had left me behind like an old t-shirt. We used to be in this together, now it was just me. I started to cry like a f-ing baby, and I knew it was only going to piss him off more.

How Kayden deals with his low self-esteem is horrifying--a self-destructive behavior more common in girls than boys.

Callie has a secret too. There's a good reason she doesn't feel worthy enough to nourish herself with food. There's a good reason she dresses in dark, baggy clothes. These characters have been through hell. As Kayden says, "I can handle scars, especially ones that are on the outside."

Gah! This story had me hooked from page one, and I cried several times. It's a sweet romance, not cheesy or predictable. I loved how Callie and Kayden help each other through devastating pain and fear.

How about that cliffhanger? It was magnificent but enraged me all the same when the author included an excerpt from [b:The Forever of Ella and Micha|16055475|The Forever of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #2)|Jessica Sorensen|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1363575595s/16055475.jpg|21840842] instead of the next book in the series. Who cares about Ella and Micha? TELL ME ABOUT CALLIE AND KAYDEN RIGHT NOW!!!

(Actually, I do care about Ella and Micha--I've already bought the ebook. I'll read anything by Jessica Sorensen!)