JenniferLane

Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Hopeless - Colleen Hoover Stunning Heart-Breaker

You know that moment when you're reading and you come to a realization about a character that rocks your foundation? That moment you gasp and start to weep?

That moment happened several times to me while reading this masterpiece New Adult story.

After her adoptive mother home-schooled Sky for years, Sky finally has the chance to experience public school for her senior year. And what a ride it will be. Sky's bff Six has built a promiscuous reputation for herself, and Sky is guilty by association. It's not that Sky never makes out with guys, but she doesn't let boys get too far because she feels absolutely numb when they kiss her...

...until Sky meets bad boy Holder. He's got a tattoo on his arm that says "HOPELESS" and a reputation of his own as a homophobic bully. When she first sees him, she notices:

1) His amazingly perfect white teeth hidden behind that seductively crooked grin.
2) The dimples that form in the crevices between the corners of his lips and cheeks when he smiles.
3) I'm pretty sure I'm having a hot flash.
Or I have butterflies.
Or maybe I'm coming down with a stomach virus.

Holder is an adorably sweet and deep book boyfriend. Sky feels unmoored when he's in her presence, and she's puzzled by his strange fascination with her. They happen to share a love of running...but what exactly are they running from?

Serious pain.

As Holder helps her uncover her past, Sky will need to keep Six's words of advice in mind:

Life is real and sometimes it's ugly and you just have to learn how to cope.

What amazes me about Colleen Hoover is that she writes about horrible ugliness, but somehow makes it okay as I watch the characters realistically struggle on their path to healing. Instead of hopeless, she makes me feel hopeful.

This is my favorite read of 2013. If you're looking for something fluffy, look elsewhere. But if you're looking for a real story about love, pain, loss, and gain--get this book now!