JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
12.21.12 - Killian McRae Killian McRae has one creative mind! I really enjoyed this suspenseful novel combining a race against time, ancient art, end-of-the-world predictions, and completely unique theories about how humanity started. When the alien aspect entered the story, I was totally surprised.

Omnific Publishing lists this novel as romantic suspense, though other genres enter the story as well (historical romance, crime drama, paranormal, action-adventure). It was a little different to have the main character in a romance novel be male, and I thought Killian wrote him credibly. I enjoyed Shep’s propensity for drinking himself to oblivion when he was overwhelmed by shocking revelations, which happened aplenty in this story. He’s obviously a smart guy full of integrity.

The most intriguing characters were Victoria, a half-breed goddess masquerading as a gorgeous art thief, and Dmitri, an other-worldly man masquerading as a Russian mobster. I thought these characters had depth and panache. I found the well-paced plot superior to the emotional draw of the romance.

Killian is an excellent writer who has a wry sense of humor shining through on lines like:

“At this point, someone could tell Shep that Stalin and Roosevelt took turns cross-dressing and calling themselves Golda Meir and he’d believe it with no less or greater sense of awe than what he currently felt.” (p. 201 epub).

I also loved this quote:

“A woman her age — or a woman of any age, for that matter — always had a secret bag of hidden memories kept to herself. Females were gatherers by nature, always storing up enough warm memories for the cold times…” (p. 172).

I'll hold warm memories from reading this novel. Great job, Killian! Highly recommended.