JenniferLane

Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Losing It - Cora Carmack Love On Stage

Here’s another great contemporary romance addition to the New Adult genre.

Bliss Edwards is a senior theater major in college who has never had sex. She likes to party with her classmates, she does a private happy dance when something good happens in her life, and she has a best friend Kelsey who constantly tries to get her laid.

The night before university classes begin, Kelsey dresses Bliss up in a hoochie-mama outfit and takes her to a bar, where Bliss proceeds to have FOUR tequila shots in a row. Yikes! The bartender’s flirtation sends her heart racing. She thinks he might be the boot-knocker she seeks, until she meets a blond-haired blue-eyed Brit reading Shakespeare in the bar: Garrick. (Bliss, Othello is my favorite too.)

Turns out Garrick just moved to town and got locked out of his apartment, so awaits the locksmith in the bar.

Turns out Bliss takes Garrick home and they get ready to make love, only for Bliss to have a panic attack, mutter something about her nonexistent cat, and run away.

Turns out Bliss and Kelsey go to their first theater class of the semester the next morning, and run into the handsome new professor . . .

Garrett.

Whoops. Bliss got some ‘splaining to do! This plot reminded me of [b:Slammed|13372690|Slammed (Slammed, #1)|Colleen Hoover|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328530463s/13372690.jpg|18602144], but what kept it unique was the theater setting. Acting fascinates me, and I enjoyed hearing about Bliss’s process on stage, moving forward with her career, and deciding how and when to have sex the first time.

I believe Cora Carmack did a realistic job portraying what a virgin endures in our sex-crazed, mixed-message culture. Bliss is curious to experience such intense intimacy, but she feels so much pressure that her nerves almost make her want to get it over with.

Bliss has a fun voice, like when she hides outside her apartment after dashing out on Garrett their first encounter:

Garrick stayed in my apartment for a good ten minutes after I left. The entire time my mind was like a five-year-old who just drank a bathtub full of energy drinks. What was he doing in there? Was he looking through my things? Was he trashing my place because I’d run out and left him there like the biggest jerk this side of Kanye West at the 2009 VMA’s?

And Garrick is a dream. Who wouldn’t love a smart, handsome man with a British accent? He’s both strong and gentle with Bliss, and I love the respect he shows her when she’s vulnerable with him.

At first I wasn’t completely drawn into the characters, and at times the writing seemed a bit forced. But as I got into the story, I liked it more and more. I love how the story ended, with Bliss doing one of her spastic happy dances. She thinks her dance is in private but maybe she has a secret observer. ;-)