JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Catching Jordan - Miranda Kenneally Fun Football Story!

Young Adult Sports Romance is my kind of genre, and I loved this book.

Jordan Woods is a high school senior who's captain and quarterback of the football team. When I read this premise, I was a bit skeptical. Could a girl possess the upper body strength and speed to excel at such a rough game? However, Jordan quickly won me over--she's six feet tall, the daughter of an NFL quarterback, and can zing insults with the best of her male teammates. She's crushed that her father ignores her football career (thinking she has no business playing this "man's" game), and her rocky college recruiting process seems realistic to me.

Jordan, or "Woods" as her teammates call her, is just like one of the guys. She's grown up with wide receiver Sam Henry, a tall lanky goofball with blond curly hair constantly falling in his face. Their friendship is funny and cute. Henry's family is poor, and Henry often eats dinner with the Woods then sleeps in Jordan's bed, with his feet by her head. It's a purely platonic relationship, or so Jordan thinks.

The funniest part of the story is when Jordan and Henry have to take care of an electronic baby for a week as a Home Ec assignment.

"Okay," Mrs. Bonner says. "Now that we all have partners, all husbands should come pick up their babies."
I stand up and stretch my arms. Henry also stands. "No way, dude," I say. "I'm the man in the relationship."
"Oh yeah, absolutely," he says, grinning.
The doll has these creepy glass eyes that look like they're staring straight into my soul. I hold the doll out in front of me like it's a flaming bag of poo and carry it back to Henry.
"Congratulations, Mommy," I say, dropping the doll into his hands. "You could've told me I knocked you up."
"My bad. I thought you'd force me to get an abortion," Henry replies. "He has your eyes, Woods."
"And your hair." The doll is bald. "Can we name him Joe Montana?"
"Hells no, his name is Jerry Rice."
"No, his name is Joe Montana."
"I was in labor with him for fourteen hours!" Henry exclaims as he rocks the baby back and forth. "His name is Jerry Rice."
I grin. "Fine."

Jordan's at practice one day, dreaming of her future as the starting quarterback for Alabama, when Tyler Green walks in. After a family tragedy, Texas star quarterback Ty had to move to Tennessee and now he's a part of Jordan's team. But the potential competition for her spot isn't what distracts Jordan. She thinks Ty's smokin' hot. He's tall, muscular, talented, with just the right mix of cockiness and vulnerability. Can Jordan pursue her dreams despite falling for the boy who might take over her starting role?

Here Ty watches a college football player come on to Jordan:

"That's Jake Reynolds?" Ty says, turning to stare. His eyes are opened so wide, he looks like one of those poison dart frogs. "Holy shit. He's so awesome."
I laugh. "Trust me, he's not."
"Seems like he likes you. Don't you want to date a first-rounder?"
"Excuse me while I go vomit."
"So you're not interested in him?" Ty asks, smiling.
"Hells no. I'd rather date O.J. Simpson."
Ty laughs. "I'm glad to hear that...I think."

It's great to see parents who are kind and involved. Jordan's mother tried to help her deal with her feelings:

For my seventeenth birthday, she bought me this lame journal.
"Jordan," she said, "writing allows me to blah, blah, blah, think deeply about karma, blah, blah, blah, and helps me figure out my problems."
Mom should get a job creating lame-ass mantras for the bottoms of juice-bottle lids.

This is one example of many where the author nails the teenage voice. Jordan finds that journaling actually does help (I hate when moms are always right) and her poetry adds a nice touch to the story.

I actually enjoyed the love triangle, though the story seemed to sag a bit as Jordan was working out her true feelings. The ending is satisfying and fun.

Fans of romance, sports, and YA will love Catching Jordan!