JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Fifty Shades Freed - E.L. James Christian is Free!

What a wonderful surprise this series turned out to be. There are so many haters of this series but don't count me as one of them. I thought the characterization was superb for both the heroine and the hero. I liked Ana much more than Bella in the Twilight series, and Christian's psychological journey enthralled me.

I love their banter, even when discussing difficult topics like when Ana buys him a camera on their honeymoon.

"For me, photos like those have usually been an insurance policy, Ana. I know I've objectified women for so long," he says and pauses awkwardly.
"And you think taking pictures of me is...um, objectifying me?"
...
"Well, it was supposed to be fun, but apparently it's a symbol of women's oppression." I snap away, taking more pictures of him, and watch the amusement grow on his face in super close-up. Then his eyes darken, and his expression changes to predatory.
"You want to be oppressed?" he murmurs silkily.
"Not oppressed. No," I murmur back, snapping again.
"I could oppress you big-time, Mrs. Grey," he threatens, his voice husky.
"I know you can, Mr. Grey. And you do, frequently."

Later they celebrate a happy event for Ana's friend Kate and Christian's brother Elliott.

Christian summons the waiter. "Two bottles of the Cristal please. The 2002 if you have it."
I smirk at him.
"What?" he asks.
"Because the 2002 is so much better than the 2003," I tease.
He laughs. "To the discerning palate, Anastasia."
"You have a very discerning palate, Mr. Grey, and singular tastes." I smile.
"That I do, Mrs. Grey." He leans in close. "You taste best," he whispers, and he kisses a certain spot behind my ear, sending little shivers down my spine.

My work book club read this and one therapist made an astute observation. He said that kink isn't pathological, and one downside of this story is Christian's journey from BDSM to vanilla is viewed as a journey to improved psychological health. While I partly agree with my coworker, I also believe Ana and Christian find and keep their own brand of kink. They show that BDSM can be light, playful, and sexy. And I have to believe that this wildly popular series has introduced countless readers to BDSM in a positive way.

The ending gave me an ebullient feeling and I loved reading Christian's perspective of the series's beginning chapter. I'd read all three books from his perspective should Ms. James choose to write them. I love Christian!!!