JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Ember - Carol Oates I love Carol Oates' lush writing. She delivers another powerful YA story with Ember, exploring teenager Candra Ember's awakening to the world of angels (and perhaps demons).

When an evil red-haired beauty throws Candra off a roof, it's the mysterious Sebastian who comes to her rescue. Candra thinks she's concussed when she first sees Sebastian's wings, but their second appearance convinces her that what she saw was real.

Sebastian had wings.
When they stretched out behind him to their full majestic size, the fine plumage looked luxurious and soft as satin. They trembled gently in the light breeze, thinning out to golden tips at the very edges. Something about it reminded her of swans rising proudly from water.

Unfortunately it's unclear if Sebastian wants to kiss her or kill her, and another group of angels tries to persuade Candra away from Sebastian. From the moment Candra meets Draven, it's obvious he's someone special.

When he stepped back, his lips pulled in a delicious lopsided grin. His eyes were the most unusual color: a deep, penetrating midnight blue, framed in the longest jet black lashes she'd ever seen.
It was absurdly endearing the way his mouth was slightly uneven when he smiled, revealing a perfect set of Hollywood-white teeth. Candra found herself toying with the idea of asking him if he wanted to have a drink, a dance...or to be the father of her children.

Ha ha! Draven has a sense of danger about him that's both alluring and off-putting. Who to trust?

I really like the complexity of Cambra's character. She's wise beyond her years yet she has a playful side too, like the time she gets Sebastian to roll down a hill for the sheer joy of tumbling out of control. He enjoys the experience almost as much as she she thrills from flying with him:

Up and up they went, with Sebastian's face lifted to the sky above them, but she could see he was smiling widely, each whoosh of his huge wings pushing them higher and higher. This was his rolling down a hill, she realized. This was where he felt free, and he was sharing it with her.

The ending surprised me in a very good way. Can't wait to read [b:Iridescent|13614229|Iridescent (Ember, #2)|Carol Oates|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344849772s/13614229.jpg|19214493] which also has a gorgeous cover.