JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Fifty Shades Darker - E.L. James I continue to enjoy this series. I loved the first book for all the funny banter between Ana and Christian, and the draw of the second book is learning more about Christian's background. I have a thing for wounded heroes, and he's one of the best. Fifty Shades Darker is also interesting due to the deeper exploration of their relationship, with its peaks and valleys, negotiation, and character development.

One thing I love about this romance is how much both characters influence each other in a positive direction. Ana stands strong many times, and she's appropriately appalled when Christian buys the publishing company where she works. (I know others think this is stalkerish but for some reason this made me laugh. Boys and their toys!) We do learn Christian has some legitimate concerns about her boss.

Here Ana won't back down when Christian doesn't want her to go to work due to one of his crazy ex-subs threatening their safety:

His mouth presses into a grim line, as I place my hands on my hips. I am not budging on this. Who the f*ck does he think he is?
"I don't want you going to work."
"It's not up to you, Christian. This is not your decision to make."

I was pleased when they find a compromise. That's what couples need to do when there's disagreement.

And when Christian fights his fear to let Ana touch him? Those scenes made me well up in tears. Ana is the perfect person to help Christian overcome his Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Much better than the quack Dr. Flynn, who doesn't even name the correct diagnosis for Christian:

"Of course, there are obstacles--Christian's haphephobia, for one."
His what? I gasp.
"I'm sorry. I mean his fear of being touched...He has a morbid self-abhorrence. I'm sure that comes as no surprise to you. And of course there's the parasomnia...um -- night terrors, sorry, to the layperson."

Uh, Dr. Flynn, Christian fears being touched because it triggers a re-experiencing of the trauma from his childhood, and he wants to avoid any reminders of the trauma. Nightmares are another symptom of re-experiencing. A clear case of PTSD.

It's no wonder Dr. Flynn admits "Ana, in the very limited time that you've known him, you've made more progress with my patient than I have in the last two years."

Doy! It would help to start with a proper diagnosis, Dr. Flynn!

The ending is a great way to keep the reader interested. But the "inner goddess" stuff was starting to get on my nerves so I think I'll take a little break before book three--there are a lot of awesome novels by fellow authors I can't wait to get to first.