JenniferLane

Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Where She Went - Gayle Forman Adam is a Shooting Star

Thank you to Smash for recommending this series! While I really liked If I Stay, I LOVED Where She Went. Adam is one of the best male characters I've read, and the author made an excellent decision to write the story from his point of view.

*This review is spoilerish so if you haven't read If I Stay, you should stop now.*

Adam Wilde is a 21 year-old rock star sensation, living out his dream of becoming a wildly successful musician. However, he's jaded and morose. His fame and money mean nothing to him because he's missing the most important part of his life: Mia.

Three years ago, Mia let their relationship end without a word why. Granted, she was messed up after losing her family in a horrible car crash, but I was angry with her for never providing an explanation to Adam. He was gutted after losing her family AND her. After holing up in his parents' basement for months, he wrote a heartbreaking CD for his band, which elevated Shooting Star to the stratosphere (think Britney Spears fame).

What's your favorite breakup CD? I'm partial to Chris Isaak's Forever Blue, Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill, and of course Adele's 21. Adam's lyrics were my favorite part of the story. Gorgeous and devastating all at once:

I'll be your mess, you be mine
That was the deal that we had signed
I bought a hazmat suit to clean up your waste
Gas masks, gloves, to keep us safe
But now I'm alone in an empty room
Staring down immaculate doom

and

There's a piece of lead where my heart should be
Doctor said too dangerous to take out
You'd better just leave it be
Body grew back around it, a miracle, praise be,
Now, if only I could get through airport security

I want to buy this CD Collateral Damage!

Some of my favorite psychotherapy clients are young adult/new adult men because they try so damn hard to be tough and strong but they have vulnerabilities just like the rest of us. It can be immensely cathartic for them to express those feelings, and this novel is like one big therapy session for Adam. Adam is so sweet--I just want to hug him--especially when he thinks things like this:

Mia's grandfather just looked at me in that quiet sad way that made me inexplicably want to kneel at the foot of his chair and put my head in his lap.

*sobs* You'll make it Adam, hang in there!

This book is a tearjerker but in a touching, satisfying way. Highly recommended!