JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Take No Prisoners - Cindy Gerard I liked #2 in the Black Ops, Inc. series even better than the first book Show No Mercy. The love/hate relationship between Sam and Abbie, as well as the emotional storylines involving their siblings, totally drew me in.

Terrorist Fredrick Nader is a bad, bad man. To get back at BOI Sam Lang for pursuing him, Nader murders Sam's sister and brother-in-law. Devastated, Sam quits the elite private team to join his father and niece back on the ranch. But none of them can move on with life knowing the murderer Nader is still out there causing mayhem.

Abbie Hughes is a casino dealer who attends school part-time and cares for her ne'er-do-well younger brother Cory the rest of the time. She's still reeling from her divorce to a cheating husband.

Yeah, Abbie had regrets. She'd loved Don. She'd planned on making a life with him. She hadn't suspected that he'd had the fidelity of a tomcat and the integrity of a kleenex.

Abbie wants nothing to do with men at this point. Too bad Cory has unwittingly become involved with Nader's terrorist network down in Honduras, which brings Sam Lang to her doorstep. That's when complications begin. They have huge physical chemistry, but Sam thinks Abbie is involved with Nader, and has to investigate her involvement.

She turned then. Walked to her bedroom, shaking with rage and defeat and a hollow emptiness that took her back to her childhood. Her mother's indifference, her father's hard hand, and later, Don's infidelity--all paled in comparison to the pain Sam Lang had administered with lazy kisses, a gentle caress, and an implied promise that he'd never intended to keep.

Yikes. Is there any way for Sam to regain Abbie's trust after that clusterf**k? Read it and find out!

There are some great secondary characters, like Abbie's friend Crystal...

"Go forth and multiple orgasm," Crystal ordered.
"Orgasm is not a verb," Abbie had pointed out with a laugh.
"Oh, sweetie, it is if it's done right."

...and Sam's handsome teammate Johnny Duane Reed, who Crystal refers to as the "gay cowboy".

Sam interrupted Reed's monologue about some woman he'd just met. "She brushed you off like a piece of white dog hair on a black dress."

But the character who made me cry is Abbie's brother Cory. He absorbed the brunt of his father's abuse and he shows the consequences in the poor choices he makes as an adult. Cory seems like a very realistic character, and Abbie's love for him is intense.

One question lingering at the end of the story is whether Sam plans to rejoin the BOIs. I like the intrigue, and I definitely intend on continuing the series.