JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
If I Stay - Gayle Forman Thank you to Ash from Smash Attack Reads (http//www.smashattackreads.com) for recommending this heartfelt young adult story about 17 year-old Mia's important choice.

Mia is a musical prodigy. She's a cellist with cold hands and a warm heart--a strait-laced girl who's sensitive and intelligent. Up to this point the one kink in her bright future at Julliard is having to separate herself from her rocker boyfriend Adam, who will stay in Oregon, where her family lives. But then a tragic event occurs, throwing everything into question. Her family slams into a devastating car accident, leaving Mia on life support. She must choose between staying or leaving.

My favorite part of the story is the unlikely romance between her and Adam. Adam is the cool hipster rocker and Mia is very uncool, but their union is strong and sweet. I teared up when Adam spoke to her at the end.

"If you stay, I'll do whatever you want. I'll quit the band, go with you to New York. But if you need me to go away, I'll do that, too. I was talking to Liz and she said maybe coming back to your old life would be just too painful, that maybe it'd be easier for you to erase us. And that would suck, but I'd do it."

The characterization of Mia's family members is brilliant. Her parents are kooky, her little brother Teddy is adorable, and I want grandparents like hers.

Dad brokers the deal. "Seeing as we're missing school today, we ought to listen to the news for a while so we don't become ignoramuses--"
"I believe that's ignoramusi," Mom says.

I picture Teddy's head, his tight blond curls. I love to nuzzle my face in those curls, have done since he was a baby. I kept waiting for the day when he'd swat me away, say "You're embarrassing me," the way he does to Dad when Dad cheers too loudly at T-ball games. But so far, that hadn't happened.

"Now, now," Gramps says, putting a hand on Gram's shoulder.
"Oh, I'm only kidding. Mia would appreciate it. She's got a sense of humor, no matter how serious she sometimes seems. A wicked sense of humor, this one."

I love the mention of a great Smiths song (soooo inappropriate!)

"You could sing something?" someone suggests.

"How about that old Smiths song 'Girlfriend in a Coma'?" someone calls.

I'm really looking forward to reading the sequel, Where She Went.