JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Breaking Point - Pamela Clare What a great romantic suspense series! I loved all five books, including the most recent release Breaking Point.

Natalie Benoit barely survived Hurricane Katrina, and tragically, her fiancee Beau did not. She's a reporter on the I-team and is still mourning her lost love when she travels to Mexico with other reporters. A Mexican drug cartel called the Zetas kidnap her and throw her into a squalid cell.

In the cell next to her is Zach McBride, an undercover U.S. Marshal. Zach has endured trauma of his own: the deaths of his squad of Marines in Afghanistan. Zach is trying to take down the Mexican cartel but he's betrayed by a fellow agent who makes the Zetas believe Zach stole their cocaine. Natalie is horrified when she overhears the Zetas torture Zach.

The plot is suspenseful and credible, and the romance is sizzling. My favorite aspect of this series is the characterization. Pamela Clare writes compelling, tormented characters who heal each other through their love.

Now for my favorite quotes. I love learning something new when I read, like this fact:

"The U.S. Marshal Service is at the top of the law-enforcement pecking order, outranking everyone, even the FBI. They have jurisdiction no matter where they are."

A really beautiful method of grieving:

"The Lakota have a special way of dealing with mourning. They spend a year acknowledging their grief, and then they hold a Wiping of the Tears Ceremony so that they can move beyond sadness . . . Moving on and finding love again doesn't have to mean you forget . . . Moving on only means that you wipe your tears away---and let yourself love and live again."

Spot-on description of PTSD:

"Some men come home from combat. I . . . I can't. There's something inside of me---it just doesn't work. I went away to war, but I can't seem to come back. I do all right out there where the adrenaline is high and the rules of engagement are clear---shoot to kill. But in the civilian world . . . You know what I spent those nine months doing? Drinking scotch and trying to get up the guts to eat my gun."

If you haven't read this excellent series, get on it!