JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
One for the Money - Janet Evanovich What a fun read! I've heard about this series for quite some time and it finally took the upcoming release of the movie to take the plunge. Stephanie Plum is an imminently likable character, with her 90's Jersey big hair, lycra shorts, and huge attitude. I love how she fell into the job of bounty hunter. She's a complete fish out of water but somehow manages to fumble along and apprehend criminals.

The "criminal" she most wants to capture (to collect a $10,000 bounty) is Joe Morelli, a cop accused of murder. It turns out Stephanie and Morelli have history and their best talent is annoying the living hell out of each other. Morelli is an intriguing character and I wish we got to know him better but I'm guessing that will happen in future novels. Apparently every woman thinks he's sex on legs but I couldn't quite visualize him very well from his description. His behavior is swoon-worthy, though.

There's no way I can quote every line that made me laugh, but here are a few:

First, Stephanie's asking a badass bounty hunter, Manoso, to show her the ropes.

"I'm out of work. I've had my car repossessed, my refrigerator is empty, I'm going to get kicked out of my apartment, and my feet don't fit in these shoes. I haven't got a lot of energy to waste socializing. Are you going to help me or what?"

Manoso grinned. "This is gonna be fun. This here's gonna be like Professor Higgins and Eliza Doolittle Does Trenton".

Then Stephanie observes the prostitute's chest size:

Lula was wearing a halter top with a lot of boob hanging out. She rolled the cold can of beer across her chest. I figured it was wasted effort. She'd need a keg to cool off a chest that size.

And the conversations between Morelli and Stephanie were classic.

"What the hell kind of outfit were you supposed to be wearing?"
"It was my slut outfit. I wanted to speed things up."
"Christ, you had guys running their cars up on the curb. And where did you hide the mike? It wasn't under that top. I'd have seen Scotch tape under that top."
"I stuck it in my underpants."
"Dang," Morelli said. "When I get it back I'm going to have it bronzed."

Hee hee. I can't wait to see what happens to Ms. Plum over the course of the series. Highly recommended!