JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
The Arrival - Shaun Tan This was such a random book club selection! The Arrival is a graphic novel without any words, and I'm just not smart enough to figure out what the heck was happening in the story. Apparently there's a Malaysian man who immigrates to Australia to try to make a better life for his wife and child. There are some really beautiful drawings of the man as he makes his journey, depicting his loneliness and confusion in adjusting to a new land where he doesn't speak the language or know the customs. This part of the story showed promise, but suddenly these bizarro little long-tailed creatures show up, acting like companions to all of the humans in Australia. I'm all, "WTF is this little freaky white monster on his bed?" The man gets a job in a strange factory and sends money to his family, which allows his wife and child to join him in Oz. Hooray, happily ever after! I think?