JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Unlawful Contact - Pamela Clare What an awesome book! This is the third story in Pamela Clare's I-Team series, and it's my favorite so far. In fact, it's one of the best novels I've read in a while. I couldn't wait to see what happened next, and I cared deeply for the characters.

The story starts with a sweet interlude between the orphan Sophie and the hard foster kid Marc when they're both in high school. Flash forward to twelve years later, and Sophie's an investigative reporter for a paper in Denver. Marc Hunter hasn't fared so well--he's in prison for murdering a fellow DEA agent. But is justice being served by him being locked away for life?

I love prison stories and this one certainly did not disappoint. Sophie unknowingly writes an article about Marc's drug-addicted sister having a baby in prison, setting plans in motion for Sophie and Marc's paths to collide once again.

Marc is such a yummy wounded hero. He is a good man who's been forced to make impossible choices to try to protect his sister, and he will stop at nothing to keep protecting the women he loves. His nickname for Sophie, “Sprite”, is so cute.

I was so engrossed in the story that I didn’t bookmark as many quotes as I typically do, though Marc watching Sophie go to lunch with an unknown man did make me chuckle:

A man Marc didn’t recognize smiled back and hurried toward her—dark hair, five-ten, one-eighty, in his early forties. He wore an ugly, dark suit and sported a thick mustache that might have looked good on Tom Selleck in 1981 but looked stupid now.

Ha ha. Jealous much, Marc?

Ms. Clare does a wonderful job of weaving in the supporting I-Team cast but this is clearly Sophie and Marc’s story to tell. And it ends beautifully, leaving me with a satisfied smile. I can’t recommend this book enough.