JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Divergent  - Veronica Roth "Sometimes Fitting In Isn't All It's Cracked Up to Be"

What a fantastic debut novel by Veronica Roth. I went back and forth between 4 and 5 stars and decided on 4 because it didn't "wow" me as much as The Hunger Games which was my introduction to the dystopian genre. Divergent wasn't quite as fresh or exciting, and I'm also hoping future books in the Divergent series will stay with me more. I flew through this page-turner but didn't find myself thinking about it much after I was done.

The idea of society breaking into five factions to try to prevent war is so intriguing. It's a hoot to consider what faction you'd enter. From reading the description of the peaceful Amity faction, I thought that would be the one for me, and laughed when I learned it's full of counselor types (my career). We seem to learn more about the other four factions so I hope more information about Amity will be forthcoming in future novels.

I love Chicago so it was really fun that the story's set there. I can't imagine Lake Michigan drying up or electricity being rationed!

The character of Four is swoon-worthy and compelling. I do enjoy tortured heroes. Tris' voice is steady and strong. How cool that she's always felt like an oddball, relegated to the outside, yet this quality turns out to be her saving grace.

I don't usually predict what will happen in books or movies but I could sniff out the evil plot a mile away. I didn't think the "bad guy" was all that scary either--certainly not as creepy as President Snow.

Occasionally Ms. Roth pleased me with an interesting metaphor like:

"Leaving us with Eric is like hiring a babysitter who spends his time sharpening knives." (p. 97)

Overall an excellent read and I can't wait for the next book.