JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Pleasures Untold - Lisa Sanchez A Witch Hell-Bent on Revenge Just Might Find Love On the Way

In this second installment in the Hanaford Park Series, Martha's a witch whose mother and grandmother were killed by the powerful vampire Lucian long ago. She changed her identity to keep safe, using a spell to transform from a freckly redhead to a black-haired goth girl. It's rather cool how she can change the appearance of herself or her friends with her witchy magic. I wonder what appearance I would choose if presented with such an opportunity.

In her zeal to protect her friends from creepy beasts, she runs into a Latin hunk of love Xan--hijole--and feels quite an attraction. When he turns out to be a despised vampire, Martha's torn between her simultaneous attraction and repulsion.

I like Xan even better than Quinn, the hero of Eve of Samhain. Tortured Xan recognizes Martha's quite capable of caring for herself and doesn't try to take over the reins of her life. Tall dark and handsome, Xan whispering sweet-nothings in Spanish is a total turn-on!

Lisa Sanchez is a marvel at coming up with unique and hilarious turns of a phrase, like:

"Gen pop didn't know about the darker beings roaming the planet" (p. 30)

Describing a male newscaster with perfectly coiffed hair that would withstand any wind as "Tornado Hair" (p. 37)

Xan labeling Martha's set of ancient Scottish daggers pointed at him as her "Ginsu knives" (p. 87).

I also enjoyed Martha freaking out about George getting his face ripped off only to find out her roommate was crying about the season ending of Grey’s Anatomy, hee hee. I’m glad the ending wasn’t perfectly wrapped up, leaving an opening for the third novel which I assume will be about Taylor and Gabriel. I wish there was a little more character development for Xan and maybe Lucian, but Martha was well-drawn and likable.

Looking forward to reading more about the characters of Hanaford Park! Luckily Lisa Sanchez is a quick study at this writing thing and I’m guessing the wait won’t be too long.