JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Whirlwind - Robin DeJarnett Whirlwind is a debut Romantic Suspense novel by Robin DeJarnett, featuring Melissa and Jason, two twenty-somethings who meet at a wedding. Sparks fly when they first touch, but romance isn’t the only focal point of the story, as later in the evening a woman is murdered. Turns out the murderer might now be after Melissa. The book summary includes a great line: “Cinderella lost a shoe—Melissa could lose both her handsome prince and her life”. Ha! This subtle humor pervaded the story and was one reasons of many I adored Whirlwind.

I’m a practical woman, so the idea of love-at-first-sight made me a bit skeptical when I started this novel. By the end, Robin DeJarnett completely convinced me of the realism and beauty of a whirlwind romance! What made me a believer? 1) Melissa and Jason created emotional intimacy before their explosive physical chemistry had a chance to bloom, 2) Their character development was gradual and complex, and 3) The characters maintained their own independence and personalities without becoming enmeshed or losing themselves in each other. But the most compelling reason was Robin’s writing style. It was smooth, sexy, and suspenseful.

I found myself really liking both Melissa and Jason, and the supporting cast was also richly drawn. This is a novel about many kinds of relationships, including romance, friendship, and the deep bonds with our parents. Melissa’s insight about her relationship with her deceased father was poignant and meaningful.

My only complaint: Why oh why did Jason have to attend the University of MICHIGAN? As a resident of Columbus, Ohio, I was very dismayed by that choice but I did have to laugh when his brother named his horse Buckeye just for spite. Go Mitch!

I DEFINITELY recommend Whirlwind, and I eagerly anticipate Robin’s next novel. Bravo!