JenniferLane

The Space Between
Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
The Sapphire Talisman - Brenda Pandos I was quite excited to win this book as a first reader on Goodreads! The Emerald Talisman introduced Julia Parker, a 16 year-old empath who becomes involved with vampires—-some good, some not so good. The Sapphire Talisman extends this complexity of the “bad guy” characters by really messing with the reader. My favorite part of the story was how Brenda Pandos manipulated my loyalty to Julia’s love interests by creating layered characters facing vexing challenges.

Here’s a quote from page 73:

Julia: “I can’t afford to lose you . . . lose you to the dark side.”
Nicholas (chuckling): “Sounds like Star Wars.”

Scarlett, the shape-shifter formerly known as Enigma the cat, plays a more prominent role in this story. I love cats so it was fun to read about her feline exploits, though there was so much antagonism between Julia and Scarlett that it was difficult for me to warm to Scarlett.

One of the vampire’s descriptions of experiencing Hell intrigued me. I don’t think I believe in hell but it’s chilling to think about spending any time there.

There was a good bit of action and surprises. Hello, Mommy Dearest! And I really liked when Julia visited her grandmother. Overall I enjoyed this book even more than The Emerald Talisman!