JenniferLane

Victoria H. Smith
Chasing Hope
Kathryn Cushman
Unmade - Carol Oates The Link Between Science and Horror

[a:Carol Oates|3988619|Carol Oates|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1289245108p2/3988619.jpg], you have officially horrified me with this taut, suspenseful novella.

Lincoln (Link) Downing is a young man who becomes intimate for the first time with his girlfriend Nancy, after senior prom, only to crash his car and suffer a near-fatal head injury. Luckily neurosurgeon Matthew saves Lincoln with his revolutionary brain treatment.

Dr. Matthew still pines for Lincoln's mother Kathleen, who married another man when Matthew left town to study medicine. Here, Matthew observes Kathleen:

She'd twisted her rich, caramel hair into a knot at the back of her head, highlighting the gentle sweeping curve of her long throat. She wore a black, form-fitting shift dress that stopped just below her knees, displaying her shapely calves and slim ankles. Matthew couldn't deny she'd aged well, showing only a few fine lines around her eyes--eyes that seemed sad and tired now.

I love Carol's descriptions.

While grateful to Matthew for saving his life, Lincoln doesn't feel quite himself. Are the brain treatments working like they should? He starts to have vicious nightmares of a monster killing its prey aka Lincoln's friends.

Are those nightmares merely dreams? Or REALITY? Mwa ha ha!

Check out this chilling tale!